Forms and Facts

How do I get a copy of a Police Report?

  • Fill out this Report Request Form
  • Crime and Incident reports: These reports may be released to:
    • The victim(s)
    • An authorized representative of the victim
    • An insurance carrier against which a claim has been made and or might be made
    • Any person suffering bodily injury, property damage or loss
  • Reports will not be released if:
    • The disclosure would endanger the safety of a witness or other involved party
    • Endanger the successful completion of the investigation or related investigations
    • The name and address of a victim of certain crimes will not be disclosed
  • Traffic Collision Reports: These reports will be released to:
    • Drivers involved in the collision
    • Registered owners of vehicles involved
    • Parents of minor driver involved
    • Passengers involved, listed on report
    • Insurance Companies
    • Those incurring property damage or civil liability as a result of the accident
    • Attorneys representing any of the above
    • Reports are not released to witnesses.
    • Fee for a Traffic Collision report is $10.00
  • Juvenile Reports: Juvenile Court has exclusive authority to determine whom, and to the extent which information may be released. Release of juvenile information requires permission from the Juvenile Court. Parents of a juvenile victim may receive a copy of certain types of reports only. All others will need to petition Juvenile Court directly for the release of that record. The Ukiah Police Department has the necessary form to do this.

How do I recover Found/Held Property?

  • Please call 707-463-6259 to make arrangements to pick up your property. Property is normally released Monday through Thursday from 8am to 4pm. Property seized as evidence will not be released until an authorization for release has been obtained from the District Attorney’s Office. Please bring proper identification with you when you come to pick up your property. Property will not be released to a third party unless written authorization has been received from the legal property owner. The Property Officer can be contacted at 707-463-6259. 

How can I “Ride-A-Long” with an Officer or "Sit-A-Long" with a Dispatcher? 

  • Complete this form and turn into Business Office during regular business hours. You will be contacted by an on duty officer to schedule a time for your Ride-A-Long.

How do I get a case number for something I’ve already reported? 

  • If you did not get a case number at the time you made a report, or if you have misplaced it, you can call the Ukiah Police Department Records Division at (707) 463-6241. You will need to provide your name, date of birth and type of incident you reported.

I lost my copy of a Ticket/Citation. How do I get a duplicate?

  • You can come to the Ukiah Police Department with proof of identification and we will provide you with a copy.

How can I pay for a parking citation or file an appeal? 

  • You may pay by mail using the envelope provided.  You may also pay on line using the following link: or via telephone at 1-800-989-2058.  Please include the ticket number with all payments.  If you do not have the ticket, please include the license plate that the ticket was issued to.
  •  To contest a parking ticket: When a parking citation is issued, the recipient has the right to contest the parking citation. This must be completed within 21 days from the date of issuance. To contest the citation, please use the above phone number and or website.

Vehicle Release

  • The registered owner of the vehicle needs to respond to Ukiah Police Department to obtain a release form. If the registered owner does not have a valid driver’s license, they must bring someone with them who does. Before a vehicle can be released, it must have current Registration with DMV. A $65.00 fee must be paid to the police department in cash, and there will also be a fee at the tow yard. You will need to contact the tow yard to find out what their fees are. If all requirements are met, you will be issued a release form. Take that form to the tow yard, pay their fees and your vehicle will be released to you.
  • Towing Vehicles from Private Property

How can I find out if someone is in jail? 

  • Contact the Mendocino County Jail at (707) 463-6330

Can I check my own criminal record?

  • You can come to the Ukiah Police Department to check your local criminal history within our Department only. There is no charge for this service. You must show proper identification. If you want to check your statewide criminal history you may contact Department of Justice at (916) 227-3835 or visit their web site for application and details.

I want a copy of my police report to prepare for my court appearance. Why can’t I get it? 

  • We cannot release your report prior to review by the District Attorney. You will receive a copy of your report at the time of your arraignment.

When should I call 911? 

  • You should dial 911 only for emergency situations. Examples would include the threat of immanent violence, crimes in progress, suspicious activity in progress, medical emergencies, traffic accidents with injuries, or dangerous or life threatening situations requiring immediate attention. For all other situations for which you need an officer to respond please call 707-463-6262.